Tuesday, November 27, 2012

more amazing than we can imagine









One long-sleeved t-shirt, hat, gloves—a fine outfit.   A new record for the mid-run sprint.  It must be understood that such a record is no small accomplishment.   It’s not like I slacked off when I had run this stretch earlier.  It’s not like this is a downhill sprint like I unwittingly created this summer in Emmetsburg.  I am truly giving it all have every time.  
I can hear you saying, “How can that be?”  I don’t know.  But I have found that the body is more resilient, more capable than we can imagine.  When I was in my first years of college, I wrote down a quote from a person I thought was named Isenberg:  The universe is not only more mysterious than we imagine, it is more mysterious than we can imagine.  At least that’s what I remember the quote as now—27 years later.  The point is that I can apply that same feeling/thought to the body.  The body is more amazing that we can imagine.  At unexpected times, like this morning, my body can take me to new levels of greatness.

• Though the miracle of the internet, I found that the quote (or something very similar to the idea) is attributed to at least two people: Sir Arthur Eddington and J. B. S. Haldane

No comments:

Post a Comment