Sunday, October 4, 2015

Putin Trump

Date
Place of exercise
Duration
Pull-ups
Classic sprint
Start time
03 Oct
Park
29 min
3,5,5,5,5
1:07.52
07:11

            As I began the run today, I thought I was feeling better. My legs didn’t have as much soreness in them and I thought I could manipulate those legs more easily. I felt this way all though the early run, right through the time when I stopped to pet a beautiful, friendly little kitten. I was listening to a couple 60 Minutes interviews with Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump. 
This distracted my mind from the pain, but I truly didn’t think I was feeling as much pain. This exercise in deception continued right up until the final sprint.  I began to sprint and I thought I could literally feel my legs whisking across the ground. 
            This week, I haven’t been doing as much yoga, and I was thinking that my legs were resting up and feeling happy.  I imagined breaking last week’s mark of 1:06.  See, I like to set reachable goals.  Such a goal would be uniquely reachable (my record for this sprint is something like 47 seconds). In my mind, I had the next few week’s runs all lined up in front of me. I would be breaking the goals nearly every time I run. When someone seemed to care, I might tell them the times of my runs.  They would feel obliged to say that I was running quite quickly.  In actuality, they'd have no idea whether it is fast or slow. Just by the mere fact that I am keeping track and timing myself, makes it look as if I’m having success. 

            When I finished, though, I saw the result was more than 1:07! This was more than a full second slower than my result of last week. I thought I was running fast, thought my legs were whisking across the ground. In reality, I was slogging along at almost exactly the same pace—even a bit slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment