Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Running machine


Date
Place of exercise
Duration
Running machine
Start time
11 Oct
Gym at Ridge
30 min
16 min
08:45

I went into the Ridge today to exercise in the gym.  There are heaps of machines and weights on poles and pulleys.  Oskar and I went over.  He likes to look around at stuff and do little bits of exercise. His favorite is the rowing machine.  He, like all of us, likes to see the numbers accumulate on the computer readout.  It gives you an estimate of the distance, the calories burned, the kilojoules, the fat lost, and the number of bears you have outrun.
                “How much meters in a mile, Papa?” Oskar yells from across the room.
                “One-thousand six hundred,” I answer. 

                While he’s rowing a mile, I get on the running machine. This isn’t your normal treadmill. The feet go back and forth, but they also go up and down a bit in an oval.  It’s closer to running.  In addition, there is an option for you to pull bars back on forth so you can stress your arms at the same time.  I chose a run program called ‘Hill.’  This program is a lot like interval training—I work with difficulty for 2 minutes and then the stress is easy for two minutes; work like the dickens for two minutes, easy for two minutes.  I set this up for 20 minutes, but the program slowed down after 16, and went to cool down.  I guess it was trying to give me a message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment