Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rob Ford, the gift that keeps on giving













Words:  449; 4 audio clips

            On Friday, 22 November, I began the day with a run to a bank where I gave a lesson to the manager of the development department.  I wore my black plastic pants, under my bright yellow nylon, knee-length shorts.  On top, I wore a long-sleeved grey RAGBRAI t-shirt under my white marathon t-shirt.  I dressed this way so that drivers would see me in the dark.  On my head was a rainbow bandana that served to hold my ear phones in place.  Dmitry said he didn’t have a problem with the way I was dressed.
            On the way home, I wanted to go my a friend’s place and shout, “Good morning!”  I did, but not until after I got lost and ran around awhile, asking directions.  This is why the trip home took 40 minutes.  Yesterday, Saturday, I ran the same route and now I know exactly where to go.
           
            During the morning of the next day, I needed to find one of my gloves.  This was a glove that was given to me by my family.  It has special tips of the index finger and the thumb are supposed to be able to work the buttons and scrolling functions of the iPod.  (It works sometimes)  Somehow, I had lost the glove after I wore it on Friday.  I looked around the tiny room where I live, which didn’t take long, and then thought, “Maybe it is on the stairs.”  So I got up early and ran the stairs in my jeans.  Ooo-rah!! There is was sitting, all alone, forlornly two floors above my own.  It must have fallen out on the way DOWN. 
           
            After the run, while cooking some buckwheat, I listened to an NPR story of the day for the day before—22 November.  It was a remembrance of JFK’s assassination.  A classical music concert was interrupted by the announcer’s words that the president was the victim of an assassination attempt.  This event is truly unique. Why would I, as I hear a recording of the announcement to a hall of classical music lovers,  50 years later, have tears in my eyes? I wasn’t even born yet.  It’s the same feeling that gave me tears when I heard that Barack Obama had won the election in 2008. 

            Rob Ford is making even more appearances on the podcasts I listen to.  He’s like the gift that keeps on giving.  I haven’t heard even one word, much less a shout of protest, or “INJUSTICE!!!” from the Canadian friends to whom I have sent these messages.  Maybe they are simply disgusted that WE, of ALL people, are laughing at their politicians.  Or maybe they just don’t care.

            The place that comes off worse than Rob Ford is Detroit.

Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me  23 November:


Slate Political Gabfest 22 November


Here are some clips from past weeks:

9 November:



16 November:


No comments:

Post a Comment