Friday, June 1, 2012

Speedy Gonzales



I took off today just after 5 am.  I wanted to get done quickly because I knew that the boys needed showers, we needed to frost the cupcakes, and Maxim and I needed to get downtown early so he wouldn’t miss much school.  I spent no time thinking about the run or the pull-ups, just did them.  I was running at a faster pace, too.  By the time I got to the final sprint, I was feeling great.  The result, 48.49 seconds, was quite good.  For most of the year last year, it would have been the quickest result.  Now, while it is a fine accomplishment, I think I could have done better.  The run this morning tells me again how running is very much influenced by the mind.
When I put on my shoes, I was not expecting anything great.  I was eager to get out there, get my heart beat up, feel the wind and cool air, and prance around a bit.  As I ran, I felt none of the sluggish leaden feeling of two days ago.  I was in the business mindset of ‘get it done’ and move on with the rest of the day—I was Mr. Efficiency all the way to the bottom of the final hill.  Reaching the light pole, I pushed the button on my watch and charged away. Although I put all my effort into my legs, I was subconsciously holding back.  There was something in me that told me, “Don’t hurt yourself.”  I sprinted a hundred yards or so and I actually thought about the fact that I could run harder; so I sped up.  As I came to the meat of the hill, I felt the power surge through me, and I remarked to myself how it didn’t feel difficult.  I wrote in this blog a couple days ago how I imagined seeing myself at the end, feeling that I would be seen to be running like a snail, pulling my ten-ton lower extremities along with their concrete encrusted shoes.  Today, however, as I got to the final 100 yards, I felt like I was burning the pavement; much like Speedy Gonzales used to do as he sped away Bugs Bunny.  Such a feeling makes me consider going out to run again.  But then, of course, my body would be weary and it would interfere with the rest of the day.  Yes…morning runs are suitable like caramel on pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment