Tuesday, July 10, 2012

.001%; historical present





After a full day of work again.  (See 2 July 2012)  This time, though, the temp is about 85.  I ran sluggishly with little excitement.  I jogged into the High School athletic area and onto the track.  I was pushing it a bit.  I felt the eyes of a couple people because there was some kind of baseball game going on.  It was a tournament game b/c there was a IHSAA sign at the gate.  I told the ladies at the gate, in small breathy gasps, that I was just going to run around there and back out again.  They smiled and let me pass.  I wanted to look like I was really working out, which I was, to give credence to my story.  Actually, I needn’t have worried about it b/c I was inside the fence for no more than three minutes.
 I started the 1/4-mile sprint, running on my toes and picking up my knees.  Going around the first turn, I thought, “I should have a goal of 80 seconds.”  To tell the truth, this is quite a letdown, b/c when I started the 1/4-miles, my goal was 75 seconds; I thought I might be able to keep it up for four laps like my nephew.  What a joke.
 So anyway, I get to the halfway point and I look at my watch—40+ seconds.  Almost exactly on pace for 80 seconds.  (A bit less than 40 is what is needed, of course)  I can’t read the hundredths b/c I’m not wearing my glasses, and the effort needed to concentrate and read the exact fraction would slow me down.  I decide to push it a bit.  I’m running, my legs are feeling heavy.  I’m nearing the end and BEEP.  I press the button on my watch.  80.09 seconds!  I didn’t make it.  9 hundredths of a second!  If I had run, not 1% faster, not .1% faster, not .01% faster, but .001% faster, I’d have made my goal.  That’s like having 1000 pieces of paper that do not fit through the eye of a huge needle.  ONE less piece of paper, and they would all fit through the needle.
From now on, I have an attainable goal...but it won't be easy.  The psychological nature of running will now come into play.  Now I have a realistic goal, but one that I know will take some real work.  I will give the needed effort and probably succeed.  It will probably be much like my sprinting at the end of runs in Panora. At the beginning, I wasn't sure if I could make 60 seconds.  Now, I'm disappointed if I DON'T break one minute.
 You will probably notice that I achieved my WORST time on the final sprint to my house.  There is an explanation.  About 1/2-mile before the beginning of my sprint, I began to feel the damage done by the extra water and lemonade I drank before the run.  Years ago, my friend, Adrianne called this illness ‘fish bowl gut’.  Such an illness is characterized by a sloshing feeling of the contents in your stomach.  Nausea and vomiting feel certain.  I suffered from a severe case of fish bowl gut.  I stick it out and run to the start of my sprint.  I walk for 10 steps and begin. My feet feel like they are stuck in concrete.  I plod along to the finish.  I look at my watch and see that it says 2:27.32.  It's easy to lop off the 1:20 from the 1/4-mile and I quickly realize that my time is more than 7 seconds more than one minute!  Oozhasno!
 During this section, I’ve used the “historical present”.  A linguistic technique during which story tellers talk about the past as if it was the present.  Follow the link below to hear a couple of language geeks talk about its use on Slate. They explain that a Seinfeld character useed the historical present to describe taking a severed toe to the hospital on a bus.  They also play an extensive clip of the show.  Quite entertaining.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2012/07/lexicon_valley_the_historical_present_in_seinfeld_and_the_novels_of_charlotte_bronte.html

No comments:

Post a Comment