Friday, July 27, 2012

disappointment





Beautiful weather!  79 degrees at 5:00 or so when I ran.  SENENTY-NINE!!  Tomorrow, it is supposed to be equally wonderful.  I was disappointed today because of my final sprint time.  I was thinking during the run that I would see the time and it would be under 2:19.  I was expecting maybe 2:18.##.  When I saw that it was 2:23, I was a bit deflated.  I guess I should not have been surprised; all the time I was running, I kept pushing myself to run a bit faster, and I did.  That tells me that I wasn’t giving it my all.  I began my sprint and simply jogged rather than sprint.  I didn’t feel the lightness of my feet, and I didn’t recognize air rushing by my cheeks.  By the time I finished, though, I was truly running fast, but it wasn’t enough to jerk me out of the slow, slow, slows.
Sunday is my next scheduled running day.  I think I will go to church, which is next to the HS track, and try my sprint.  I will see if, when sprinting without a 10 minute workout before, I can run faster.
There was a few people sitting by a truck outside the track.  Although they looked sporty enough, they were not paying any attention to me.  I imagined them watching me when  I wasn’t looking.  I wondered if I looked like I was running fast.  For the first half of the 1/4 mile, I got 40 seconds.  The second half needs to be quicker if I think I will beat 80 seconds.  So…my second half was truly faster.  I can always push myself faster.
 I’m increasing the number of pull-ups. I’m thinking now that I am stronger than ever. When I was 19 and doing the Navy Physical Fitness Test, I didn’t 19 pull-ups (actually 20, but they didn’t count the last one. You needed to come to still hang on the last pull-up or it didn’t count. I did 19, then 20, then came down, then went up again and dismounted without hanging. The person counting took my final no-hang pull-up as an incomplete exercise. I complained and he dismissed me with, “Don’t worry, you’ll do another one next year.” What a (opposite of prophetic) prophetic statement. A week later, I had a tractor accident and never did another Navy PFT.

No comments:

Post a Comment