Friday, July 6, 2012

Roy G. Biv






Another run at my old course.  Music is truly amazing.  I plodded along listening to NPR stories about the Yemeni protestors, the Egyptian troubles, and a tunnel in the Afghan mountains that sound remarkably similar to a crumbling artery through a mountain to a ferry terminal in Albania.  Then, at the 16-minute mark, I stopped to put on some music.  I flipped to the playlists on my iPod and chose a running group of songs.  I spun the wheel a bit to choose one at random (no glasses so I can’t read the titles).  The song was ROY G BIV by They Might Be Giants.  The energy flowing through my muscles was dramatic.  I felt like I was hoping from stone to stone with the lightest of touches.

R is for Red
O is for Orange,
Y is for Yellow, and
G is for Green
B is for Blue,
I for Indigo, and
V is for Violet…and that spells Roy G. Biv
Roy G. Biv is a colorful man, and he proudly stands at the rainbow’s end
Roy G. Biv is a colorful man, and his name spells out the whole color spectrum

You’ll never see a unicorn,
But you’ll see a rainbow.
And inside every rainbow,
is the spectrum of light.

You’ll never see Roy G. Biv,
But he’s inside the rainbow.
Cause inside every rainbow,
Is the spectrum of light.

After TMBG, came Rubberband Man by the Spinners from 1976.  As I started the sprint came Should’ve Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith.  As much as I like the song, it’s not so great for inspirational running.  I guess I’ll have to take that one out of the running playlist.  The next one, though, Suburbia by the Pet Shop Boys would have been great for a sprint (I think).
I finished straining and popping, arms and legs screaming in agony only to finish in 58.11—nearly three seconds slower than my fastest.  But ain’t it great to be disappointed at 58 seconds when a few months ago, I wasn’t even sure that I could do it in under a minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment