Thursday, December 10, 2015

Pain-free again!!!!

Date
Place of exercise
Duration
Classic Sprint
Pull ups
Start time
10 Dec
Rruga Vilat Gjermane
35 seconds


16:50

          The careful observer of this blog will notice that rather than a 20-45 minute bit of exercise, as usual, I ran only 35 seconds today. I didn’t actually do a workout because last night, when I tried to lay down to sleep, no matter what position I tried, I could not get comfortable.
My back, which I injured in a one-person bicycle accident on Sunday, was terribly painful. The morning after the accident, Monday, when I thought I would be completely crippled with pain, I was fairly normal. During the next three days, however, the pain steadily increased. 
          This morning, after a night of little sleep, lying flat with no pillow, I was still struggling with pain. I made an appointment with the doctor. He was a man I had seen a couple times before, and we had a fine chat. He checked me out enough to know that the pain was coming only from muscles, and there does not seem to be any nerve damage.  Thank goodness!  So I let him prescribe me some ibuprofen.  I have taken two pills today, and right now, I am pain-free.  This is great, because it means that I will not be injured at the start of our trip to Russia. 
          So what is the silliness above with a 35 second sprint?  Well, I left my house at 16:45, on my way downtown to my lesson that was scheduled to begin at 17:30.  This fall, I noticed that there is a bus that runs right near our house and then downtown.  I, and the boys, have successfully come out to catch that bus a couple times. Other times, it has left just as we were walking out. This time, as I stepped through the gate and onto the street, I saw the bus driving by.  I ran. As I was running, I saw the bus stop for a woman and her daughter ahead of me, but they were several meters too far to jump on the bus at that point. I just kept running, thinking that I would catch the bus when it stopped at the top of the hill as it turned onto the main road.  Unfortunately, the bus did NOT stop at the top of the road and I missed it by the same several meters that had been between us when the woman and daughter caught the bus in the middle of the road. 

          You’re right, I still haven’t said why I am writing about the 35-second sprint.  If you are still reading, you will be rewarded with another story of the body’s resilience. As I was running for the bus, my legs were working well. I had no pain and the bones and joints were pumping with joy.  This was not a long run, through the park or anything, but I believe the next time I go there, I will be jumping for joy.  This has been one of the longest periods of pain and diminished running stature.  I think these periods may be getting longer, as I age, but as long as I become healthy again, life is good.  The pain also might be diminished because of the ibuprofen.  Well, I hope I am not masking any real trouble.  That is the reason I usually don’t take any pain medicine—I don’t want to really hurt something by running when actually I should not.  I’m feeling so good that right now, this is a chance I will take.  

No comments:

Post a Comment