Tuesday, June 4, 2013

streak is broken...this guy was born a subject of the czar









Words  186
            The streak of 7 sprints between 60 and 61 seconds is over.  As I ran, I had the feeling that I was running quickly.  This gives me another opportunity to express the utter unfathomability of these finishes.  Try to imagine me running and thinking, “Hmmm…I think I am going to be .45 seconds too fast.  I slow down a bit.”  Impossible!
            I walked slowly down the route, trying to see if I could make the distance register with the running app on my iPod.  On one length of the strip, no distance was recorded.  I turned around.  I turned to walk back, hoping it would register a distance.  .36 km came pretty soon, and at the other end, it showed .72 km.  This would mean that the distance is .225 miles.  Less than a quarter mile.  This distance seems about right.  I was never able to run .25 miles in a minute this summer.
            The bad thing about the RunKeeper ap is that one second after it told me I had run 2 miles, I looked at the distance and it was 4.8 km.  2 miles is 3.2 kilometers.  Something is messed up.


        I was walking home today, not in a hurry.  I saw this guy walking slowly toward me; he was only about 15 meters from the supermarket.  I got the feeling that he was going to ask me something.  He did.  I understood from his motions that he wanted help with his backpack.  When he took if off, I lifted it with great effort.  I was probably 30 pounds!  I’m surprised he wasn’t tipped over on his back like a turtle.  After I picked it up, he said I should just take it to the _______ and set it down.  I couldn’t understand exactly what he said but I wasn’t going to let this guy carry this huge load.  We talked a bit.  I told him that my dad told me that I should use my good health while I have it...so that's one reason I am helping.  As we walked by a dumpster, he stopped and went to some trouble to retrieve two long sticks that would be terrific walking sticks. Outside the door of his apartment, he told me that he was 98 years old!  This man was a subject of a czar!  He outlived the Soviet Union!








No comments:

Post a Comment