Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dad always said we need to find something and become an expert


Date
Place
Duration (min)
Sprint Middle Downhill (sec)
Sprint Long Downhill (sec)
Time
17 Sept
Tirana, Rruga Kavaya
36
55.07
1:02.93
07:32
There are three sections in the median of Rruga Kavaya near my house.  I’ve chosen these as the venues for my sprints here so as to keep myself off the streets. rr Kavaya has a bit of an incline, so of course the sprints are uphill or downhill.

Date
Place
Duration (min)
Sprint Long Downhill (sec)
Sets of Push-ups (25)
Temp. (C)
Time
18 Sep
Tirana, Rruga Kavaya
29
1:05.28
1
18
07:10


     Near my apartment, there is a median in the middle of Rruga Kavaya.  This median has three sections which are divided by areas where cars can do a u-turn and travel the other way on the street.
     Yesterday and this morning, a man came to my apartment to hang a mirror and some towel bars in the bathroom, and curtain rods, so I don’t have to worry about flashing my unmentionable areas to the neighbors out the windows. 
In times past, I thought how much I wanted to do such work myself. But them I would think how I would need the tools, and the time, etc.  It’s not that I CAN’T do it, it’s just that I have chosen to do something else.  

     Then I tried to think  about what I can do that not everyone can do.  Well, it’s this: talk to people, make them feel at ease, and teach them English.  We have completed a week of lessons here in Tirana, and all the lessons have been at least satisfactory, if not spectacular.  Yesterday, I had a class of kids—one 9, one 8, and two 10 year olds.  The 9-year-old was far lower than the others, but as the lessons progressed, I was able to give him tasks that he could complete and ask him questions that he could answer; I allowed the other students to explain the key points in Albanian.  It is quite a balancing act to keep the high level students interested, while not leaving the low-level students behind and disengaged.  Several times, I needed to remind the 9-year-old that he should not pay attention to the air conditioner, but instead to what we were saying.  The good thing is that he had just enough skill that he was not totally in the dark, and by pairing him with higher level speaker, I paid a complement advanced kid who was able to provide understandable explanations. By the time we finished, everyone was speaking well, smiling, and eager for more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment