Sunday, September 21, 2014

sea? ocean? it's salt water whatever you call it

Date
Place
Duration (min)
Sprint (sec)
Time
13 Sept
Tirana, Rruga Kavaya
32
42.18
06:50

Ran from around the area near the apartment today for the first time.  The boys were with me last night and I left them sleeping.  I sprinted UP Rruga Kavaya (that means Kavaya Street) for a bit.  I ran in the median so I wouldn’t have any car issues.  
The sprints today were enjoyable.  I liked the fact that I was running without pain.

Date
Place
Duration (min)
Sprint (downhill)
Sprint (uphill)
Time
15        Sep
Tirana, Rruga Kavaya
38
37.37
38.13
07:14

      The attached picture shows the white board after a lesson with a student who works with the Albanian infrastructure.  Soon, he must travel to wealthy Middle Eastern nation that has promised to support Albanian infrastructure development.  In preparation for this meeting in #######, my student wanted to brush up on some of the likely vocabulary that he would probably need.  This is why, you can see such terms as landfill, solid waste, sewage system, water supply, sanitation, and indoor plumbing.  Not the most attractive words, to be sure, but important when they need to be. 

      You can also see a partial map of the United States with the state of Iowa clearly positioned.  This was a demonstration of the fact that I grew up far from the ocean.  Why did this come up?  During some explanation, I mentioned that Albania is near the ocean and many of my students were confused.  Of course, Albania is NOT near an ocean, but at least one sea.  My map was part of my argument that growing up in a land-locked environment as I did, the nuanced meanings of ocean and sea are not paramount in my lexicon.  As I think about this now, I see an even greater error in my thinking.  Albania is far, far from the ocean, and closest to the Adriatic Sea—which joins not the ocean, but the Mediterranean Sea—the nearest ocean is a couple thousand kilometers away.  My argument is that being so far from the ocean, by default, I think of any salt water as the ocean.


No comments:

Post a Comment