Wednesday, July 24, 2013

quarter mile success in Nebraska







Words  234
            Today was a great day.  We had biked past the elementary school last night so I knew where the monkey bars were.  Thus, I was able to do  a couple sets of pull-ups.  On the way back, I also ran past the high school track so I was able to run a ‘quick’ quarter mile.  I ran less than a half second slower than 1:15.  As I continued to run afterwards, I was thinking, “Man, if I had just pushed it a bit more, I’m sure I would’ve beat 75 seconds.”

            Then I continued to think, “Well, you know I DID give it an extra boost a few times.  And I remember consciously making my legs and arms move.”  If I hadn’t done made those moves a couple times, I wouldn’t have achieved even the result that I did. 

            I just looked back at the record quarter-mile time from last summer.  It was 1:15.17 from the 31st of  July in Emmetsburg.  This makes me quite happy:  Last year, I had been running the quarter mile several times each week.  This time, I was able to achieve nearly the quickest result in only one attempt.  Usually, when I run a distance, the first time, I lollygag a bit (either consciously or sub-consciously) and I am able to improve.  This time, even with the sub-conscious lollygagging, I nearly equaled my best effort from last year.  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment