Thursday, November 1, 2012

-1, still sweating




Regrettably, I sweat significantly on this run.  I wore too many clothes, of course.  On the way home from my lesson, I couldn’t get my hands warm even though they were inside my purple fleece gloves, there was snow all over, yada, yada, yada.  I thought it would be cold.
 Now I know that -1 is not cold enough to wear my warm, thick, cotton Kazakhstan English Language Theater sweatshirt.  My blue Don’s Farm Supply stocking hat was also too much.  At the mid-way point, I took it off and my ears leaped for joy at their new-found freedom.  The sweat on my ears, however, demanded that I replace it atop my head after a couple minutes.  Fortunately, I brought several long-sleeve t-shirts to Moscow; I think those will be just the thing.  Earlier I have worn such a combination and I’ve been quite satisfied.
The kindergarten outside my window
I began my usual route which takes me past a lovely playground structure with a decent pull-up area.  The ground was covered in snow, so I passed up this opportunity.  Along the neighboring apartment building, and stupidly to a little-used path which is covered in snow and ice; I had to walk gingerly here.  Then I ran between the tramway tracks that were 95% dry.  Soon, I jumped to the sidewalk that was also dry. I couldn’t do as many sprints as I would have liked because, although the pavement was mostly dry, there were bits of ice that popped up every now and then.
The weather forecast for tomorrow morning, my regularly scheduled run on Friday morning, calls for a similar temperature.  The air is quite dry, so the water on the sidewalks rapidly evaporates.  I love to see the sidewalks getting dry.  The air in my room is quite dry, too.  I hand-washed a new blanket yesterday, draped it over the doors of my clothes closet, and used it last night because it dried so quickly.
A great thing about Moscow this year is that we have NOT turned our clocks back, staying on ‘summer time.’  Some people are complaining because this will mean an extra hour of darkness in the morning, but I love this situation because an extra hour in the morning means LESS darkness in the afternoon when people can really use it.  Of course there is not going to be much useful daylight in any case since there is so little to begin with.
Another great thing for me about the statistic nature of the clock is that now we are 3 hours ahead of Albania (since the DID fall back an hour).  Thus, I will be able to get home in time to call the boys in the evening before they go to bed.   We’ve already played a couple games of chess in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment