Sunday, August 25, 2013

8-minute pace for 13-miles







Words 448
            The schedule had me doing a ‘slow’ 13-mile run today.  I began at a very easy pace, just loping along like a pony out for a jog.  I did the first mile in 8:07, and the second in 8:00.  So, I guess an 8-minute pace is quite natural for me. 
I sarcastically wrote in my previous post that the 8-minute  pace seemed ‘unlikely.’  What I really meant was ‘impossible.’  However, I ended up today running 13 miles at a pace of 7:58.  Can I keep this up for another 13 miles?  Doubtful.  At nearly exactly mile 11, my legs began to hurt.  I kept up the pace, in general, and ran through the pain.  The last mile, as usual, was the fastest of the day at 7:37. 
            Sometime ago, I decided that I should try to sprint for short distances in the middle of the runs. Today, I did this 5 times—not exactly a ‘sprint’ but simply running a bit faster.  When my watch signaled the end of one minute, I simply went back to my previous pace.
            I think a little burst of energy helps me out; I don’t get stuck  in the rut of plodding along at the same slow, uninspiring pace.  I think if I just keep plugging along, I may get seduced by the comfort into believing that this pace is all I can do.  A one-minute quick trot will shock me out of those doldrums. Secondly, I imagine that  it has some effect on the other runners. For the most competitive, to have someone quickly go past them, must be tough; they might feel like they have been let down by their bodies.  Others might not care at all, they are so focused on their own situation that somebody running by represents not even a blip on the radar screen; still others might even yell something encouraging.
            These are the times for each mile. 

1
8:07
2
8:00
3
7:57
4
8:06
5
7:54
6
7:54
7
7:58
8
7:58
9
7:51
10
8:00
11
7:58
12
8:06
13
7:37
I’m amazed at how consistent they are.  It reminds me of the quote from Roger Bannister that I wrote about a couple days ago.  He implied that he could continue running for eternity. 



  At an 8-minute pace, a man of my age would fail to qualify for the Boston Marathon by 4.6 seconds plus the time it takes to run 385 yards.  Oh well, even if I qualify, there is slim possibility that I will go.  Anyway, I can wait a couple years and I will be able to pad my time by 5 seconds.



Qualify standards for the 2014 Boston Marathon:

No comments:

Post a Comment