Sunday, August 18, 2013

Evil satin Nike











Words 402; one pic
            This was officially my first run in the 4-week training program to prepare for the marathon.  The 10 miles was supposed to be done on Monday or Tuesday, but this fits my schedule better.  I leave Tirana at 3:00 in the afternoon on Tuesday, so I will be able to do the next run before I leave.  That will give me a day to rest.  My next run will be a ‘hard 5-miles.’ 
Today, Sunday, it was not difficult to find an area of road that was not busy.  Might be more  difficult on Tuesday.  A run around the lake seems to be doable. 

Here is a look at the schedule:



            Today was also the first day I used the Nike running app.  I didn’t want to use Nike because I have a political distaste of Nike and the way they have spread throughout the world.  Why does their logo have to be so ubiquitous?  I go out of my way NOT to buy things that have Nike plastered on them.  Last winter I needed a stocking hat.  My friend picked me out a nice one at a second-hand store, but I refused because it had a Nike swoosh stitched on it.  I do not want to be a bill-board for the company.  I’m disgusted by the thought that I have to pay the opportunity to run around showing the world that I support their company.  They should pay me when I am doing them a favor. 
            The thing about today was the app did do a good job.  I am confident that it accurately recorded the miles I had run, and the pace.  The other day, I ran for 80 minutes and the app I used told me that I ran 27 kilometers/17 miles—that would be a pace of 4 minutes and 42 seconds per mile.  I’ve never run that fast, nor will I ever run that fast.  I can’t even run at that pace for a quarter mile, much less for 17 miles.  Today the recorded pace was entirely reasonable. 

            I felt a bit of comfort today when I considered that I am not paying for the use of the Nike app.  If I upgrade to use more features of the app, then I will have to pay.  So, in a way I am getting something for nothing at the expense of the evil satin, Nike.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment