Sunday, December 1, 2013

beggars









Words:  208

30 Nov

            Two records on this report.  Yesterday, I ran the steps in the afternoon. We have snow all over, but the temperature is not very cold, so there is water everywhere.  I did a quick exercise regime of 20 minutes.  The other morning when I ran the steps, there were two uncomfortable elements.  On the second floor, there was a man smoking.
There is usually the hint of cigarette smoke in the stairway, but people are not often there smoking at the time.  At another spot, there was a man who was probably homeless.  He was stumbling along on one landing with two large plastic bags.  When I went back down, he was gone. 
            There are quite a few beggars and homeless people here.  Much like any big city, I guess.  I don’t keep any change because whenever someone asks for money, I empty my pockets.  Today, as I was walking through the metro, some guy said something to me.  I thought he probably wanted money, but I asked him what he said.  He mumbled something in Russian, so I asked him to repeat. 

            He asked, “Do you speak English?”  Then, in a very loud voice, “Give me some money!”  I laughed and pulled out a bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment