Tuesday, December 2, 2014

first failed attempt


Date
Place
Duration 
push-ups
Pull-ups
Time
Earlier failed attempt
1 Dec
Rruga
Kavaja
29 min
25,25
15
23:05
07:51

     I have a unique column in today’s stats: First failed attempt.  This was when I went out to run this morning, but my knee did not allow a run. It had some kind of “hitch” in it that prevented normal operation.  I write of the problem in the past tense, but this is not accurate.  My knee is still somewhat messed up.  In actual fact, BOTH of the knees are giving me some trouble.  

     The problems are quite worrisome.  The problems first occurred  Sunday morning when I was in the gym with the boys playing soccer and throwing the frisbee.  I couldn’t run sideways because it felt like my leg would collapse.  Only a slow jog in one direction was permitted.  So…even though my running schedule called for me to run on Sunday, I did not.  I rested throughout the day, and even did not run in the evening.  Yesterday morning when I went out, I jogged gingerly, apprehensive of the trouble. I went only to the street and turned around.   
     After working all day from 11:30 to 22:00, I walked home.  The knee felt mostly stable.  We had had some rain and the forecast called for a 30% chance of rain all evening with the probability rising to 70% in the morning.  It wasn’t raining at the time, so I decided the best choice would be to run immediately so I wouldn’t get sopping wet.  
     I took off at 23:05, jogging on the circular route that goes around the inner city. Then turned up rruga Durset and then along by my street, rruga Kavajas.   As you can see, I didn’t do any sprinting—I didn’t want to stress the knee—and I quit early.  In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have run at all.  Now, this morning, it is not raining and a few more hours of rest might have done me well.

     The reason I ran was that I have a super strong feeling of responsibility.  Responsibility to myself, and to my self-imposed schedule.  If I miss one day, I am afraid that will turn into two days, to three, etc.  I feel the same way about my commitment to writing.  I need to write everyday to maintain my devotion. Days when I slumber, or thrash around in the bed NOT sleeping, are days that begin poorly.  When I do force myself up, the days goes well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment