Saturday, May 14, 2016

ankle twist

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
Classic Sprint
Pull-ups
Dam Sprint
Start time
15 May
park
37
1:06.93

1:51.79
07:00

          Just yesterday, I wrote about the advantages of running on the ground rather than on the pavement. The ground is softer, more pliable, spongier you might say, and easier on the knees.  There is more give and the joints aren’t stressed as much. I still believe this.

          Today, however, I ‘ran into’ a problem with this running surface; I tripped on an exposed root, or a rock, or a hole, or something.  Whatever it was, I turned my ankle. When I did it, I exclaimed, “Ow! Fuck!” Other fitness enthusiasts around me looked up from their bent backs with concern, or disgust. 

          I slowed my pace, even walking for a time. I was very near the end of my run, almost to the start of the classic sprint. I walked to the starting line and began the ‘sprint’ even though I didn’t really sprint. I jogged, taking it easy so as not to annoy my ankle too much. The result was not the slowest I have ever run the classic sprint. That hallowed title goes to the time in March when I ran a 1:10 ‘sprint’ because of the pain in my thighs.  I am happy to say that the pain in the thighs has dissipated nearly entirely, and I believe that my ankle will be fine soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment