Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 14; A running partner .13 seconds!!!! Ugh!!!

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters quarter mile(s)
Start time
14 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
61
27.93
1:15.13
07:19

          Ugh! .13 seconds. As I crossed the halfway mark, I glanced at my watch to see that I was at 38 seconds—on pace for 1:16. I reasoned that was exactly where I needed to be. I didn’t slow down at this point; I maintained my pace, and soon expended greater effort.

          The infinitesimally tiny amount of extra effort that should make my goal a reality is difficult to imagine. The thing is that I have already given what seems to me to be the utmost effort. Just yesterday, I wrote here that I needed to have some competition, a running partner. Lo and behold, a camper asked to run with us. Before we ran, I asked her not to run too far ahead of me. I said that she should run just a bit ahead so I wouldn’t lose heart.
          My desire to stay with her gave me some motivation for a short distance; she fell back after the first turn. On the next turn, I needed to move out a bit to pass a different young girl. This small effort may have been the .13 seconds that I needed.
          Now I know that an all-out effort from the very beginning will not serve me well; by the time I finish, I am absolutely exhausted and barely able to remain erect. Today, I ran quite leisurely at the start of the sprint, running with great effort at the end. My results were very nearly sufficient.


No comments:

Post a Comment