Friday, June 10, 2016

The win of logic

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
7 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
43
28.21

07:16

          Our first swim today. The water was wonderful! I keep telling everyone that we need to go to the sea. I mean WE as in all the kids. Elena said that when we get back to camp, we should not tell the kids that we went swimming. 

          “Why ever not?” I said.
          “Because it is too cold, and they can’t. They would probably complain.”
          “Who said it’s too cold?”
          “I don’t know. The camp director probably,” she said.
          “Well I’m going to tell them that I went swimming and that it was beautiful. If they complain to the correct person, maybe they will be able to change the rules.”
           I was told that the water needs to be 25 degrees (Celsius, 77 F). I also heard that the water was only 18º (64ºF). I reasoned that we need to change the parameters because even though the water is beautiful, it’s not going to get 7º warmer in 2 weeks.
          I reasoned that we needed to talk to Camp Orlyonok’s administrator. But this Camp administrator, that’s Camp with a big C, is some mythical creature who we don’t see.
          I talked to our camp (I-Camp) admin person. She said, “The decision was not made by me. It is the camp doctor. Children cannot go into water that is this cold.” To emphasize the fact that the issue was closed, she added, “This type of discussion (I believe she may have been referring to other times when I have tried to illuminate things that seem illogical to me) is pointless,” and she switched the subject. That was 1:00.
          At 3:30, someone knocked on my door with a message. The English lessons would not transpire at 4:00, as scheduled, but 4:30 or even 5:00 since the kids were going to the beach.
          Who said no one listens to the person who tries to be logical?
         


No comments:

Post a Comment