Friday, June 10, 2016

Black Sea in the rain

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123
 steps (s)
Start time
4 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
40
29.34
07:31

          A wondrous thing occurred recently. Elena, a teacher from Anapa in Russia, came to teach the lower levels of our English classes. This, in itself, isn’t anything to write about, but the day before yesterday, I noticed that she was wearing a shirt that proclaimed that she had run 44 km.
This is two km longer than a marathon.  I asked her about it, and she indeed had run this distance. The race was five years ago, but she is still a runner. I suggested that we run together and she agreed! Very seldom have a found someone to run with, and this may be one of those times. 
          We decided that we could run together this morning. I woke at 7:00 to hear a lot of thunder. Like any semi-intelligent person, I thought that it might rain soon. I wasn’t worried because I am not in the mode that has me overly worried about getting my runs in. I wouldn’t have been upset if we didn’t run.
          This attitude is in marked contrast to the customary situation. I usually act like an eager puppy dog, jumping at the chance to do something with someone. Thus, I would typically be knocking on Elena’s door at 7:28 asking if she was ready. The usual way things would turn out would have me waking her up and her coming to the door, asking weakly for my forgiveness, and saying that she will run tomorrow.  I would be disappointed and go running by myself. I would have a good time, I would feel the rush of endorphins, and continue with my day; I’d be feeling good that I got something done while most other people were sleeping. Usually, I wouldn’t say anything about it because if I did, I would be playing the role of the big dork. Again.
          Today, however, this scenario did not play out as in the past. I say at my desk typing some lesson plans and at 7:28, Elena knocked on MY door rather than the other way around. By this time, it was raining quite strongly, the thunder and lightning were still crashing, and the water was flowing down the streets.  As I opened the door, I said, “It’s raining.”
          “I’m running,” was her answer.
          “I’m going with you,” was my immediate reply. 
          I’m not sure if I have ever stepped right out into such strong rain. I have run through rain before, but light rain. This rain was a real downpour. After 2 minutes, my shirt, shorts and shoes were thoroughly drenched, and I could barely see through my glasses. We ran our intended route, though we didn’t see much. A couple times, groups of kids were on our path with their umbrellas; near the beginning, a man was running up the steps as we were going down. 
          As we neared our hotel-like quarters, I sped up for the last bit, and charged up the steps. All the groups must climb these steps 6 or more times per day.  That alone might give some sedentary teenagers a work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment