Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Orlyonok running experience

Here are all my blog posts about my runs in Orlyonok:


Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123
 steps (s)
Start time
4 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
40
29.34
07:31

          A wondrous thing occurred recently. Elena, a teacher from Anapa in Russia, came to teach the lower levels of our English classes. This, in itself, isn’t anything to write about, but the day before yesterday, I noticed that she was wearing a shirt that proclaimed that she had run 44 km.
This is two km longer than a marathon.  I asked her about it, and she indeed had run this distance. The race was five years ago, but she is still a runner. I suggested that we run together and she agreed! Very seldom have a found someone to run with, and this may be one of those times. 
          We decided that we could run together this morning. I woke at 7:00 to hear a lot of thunder. Like any semi-intelligent person, I thought that it might rain soon. I wasn’t worried because I am not in the mode that has me overly worried about getting my runs in. I wouldn’t have been upset if we didn’t run.
          This attitude is in marked contrast to the customary situation. I usually act like an eager puppy dog, jumping at the chance to do something with someone. Thus, I would typically be knocking on Elena’s door at 7:28 asking if she was ready. The usual way things would turn out would have me waking her up and her coming to the door, asking weakly for my forgiveness, and saying that she will run tomorrow.  I would be disappointed and go running by myself. I would have a good time, I would feel the rush of endorphins, and continue with my day; I’d be feeling good that I got something done while most other people were sleeping. Usually, I wouldn’t say anything about it because if I did, I would be playing the role of the big dork. Again.
          Today, however, this scenario did not play out as in the past. I say at my desk typing some lesson plans and at 7:28, Elena knocked on MY door rather than the other way around. By this time, it was raining quite strongly, the thunder and lightning were still crashing, and the water was flowing down the streets.  As I opened the door, I said, “It’s raining.”
          “I’m running,” was her answer.
          “I’m going with you,” was my immediate reply. 
          I’m not sure if I have ever stepped right out into such strong rain. I have run through rain before, but light rain. This rain was a real downpour. After 2 minutes, my shirt, shorts and shoes were thoroughly drenched, and I could barely see through my glasses. We ran our intended route, though we didn’t see much. A couple times, groups of kids were on our path with their umbrellas; near the beginning, a man was running up the steps as we were going down. 
          As we neared our hotel-like quarters, I sped up for the last bit, and charged up the steps. All the groups must climb these steps 6 or more times per day.  That alone might give some sedentary teenagers a work out.


Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123
steps (s)
Start time
5 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
44
32.25
07:31

          Elena and I ran today and are planning to run again tomorrow. I have been feeling fabulous. I was even wondering today if I would be able to run a marathon right now. Legs are fine, feet are fine, ankles are fine. I have a fabulous constitution. One reason that the run up the steps was a bit slower may be because I was carrying a bag of Elena’s books.
          Rain again today. The rain today was lighter, though, so we didn’t get as wet as yesterday, and this afternoon, I found a sunny place where I could dry my shoes, too. Thus, tomorrow, I will be able to run in nearly perfect footwear.
          We received our official badges yesterday so Elena was able to run outside the gate of Orlyonok and get some teaching materials from her car. The badge has our picture that tells everyone that we are truly have the right to be in the camp. As I was waiting for her, I ran two times through are area that gave me more distance than the run before.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
6 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
43
27.37
1:16.03
07:32

          A real accomplishment today. Elena and I ran to the gate area as usual, but today was a wondrous day—no rain, blue sky, birds filling the sky with song.
          In addition to the wonderful atmosphere, I sampled a modern track on the area of the camp. It was a truly modern track with an asphalt-like surface and with numbers and lines painted to indicate where runners should begin for each leg of the various events—400 meter run, 4x100, 4x200, etc. I was feeling fabulous, so I told Elena I was going to run one lap around the track—a quarter mile, 400 meters. This is the distance I ran four years ago in Emmetsburg, on their beautiful track. My goal at the time was 75 seconds, 1 minute and 15 seconds, 1:15.  I ended my time in Emmetsburg not coming any closer than 3 seconds from my goal.
          Today, on my first try, I made it only one second and 3 one-hundredths of second slower than 75 seconds. It makes me think that track is somehow a bit shorter than the Emmetsburg track. Another idea may be that this track is truly modern, while the E-burg track might be simply old tires: I heard a TED talk the other day that the runners of today may not actually be running faster than runners of years ago, but the surfaces they are running on, and the equipment may be better. 
          Whatever the case, I am super satisfied and quite thrilled to be running again at full speed with no pain. It’s been nearly a year since I could say that.


Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
7 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
43
28.21

07:16

          Our first swim today. The water was wonderful! I keep telling everyone that we need to go to the sea. I mean WE as in all the kids. Elena said that when we get back to camp, we should not tell the kids that we went swimming. 
          “Why ever not?” I said.
          “Because it is too cold, and they can’t. They would probably complain.”
          “Who said it’s too cold?”
          “I don’t know. The camp director probably,” she said.
          “Well I’m going to tell them that I went swimming and that it was beautiful. If they complain to the correct person, maybe they will be able to change the rules.”
           I was told that the water needs to be 25 degrees (Celsius, 77 F). I also heard that the water was only 18º (64ºF). I reasoned that we need to change the parameters because even though the water is beautiful, it’s not going to get 7º warmer in 2 weeks.
          I reasoned that we needed to talk to Camp Orlyonok’s administrator. But this Camp administrator, that’s Camp with a big C, is some mythical creature who we don’t see.
          I talked to our camp (I-Camp) admin person. She said, “The decision was not made by me. It is the camp doctor. Children cannot go into water that is this cold.” To emphasize the fact that the issue was closed, she added, “This type of discussion (I believe she may have been referring to other times when I have tried to illuminate things that seem illogical to me) is pointless,” and she switched the subject. That was 1:00.
          At 3:30, someone knocked on my door with a message. The English lessons would not transpire at 4:00, as scheduled, but 4:30 or even 5:00 since the kids were going to the beach.
          Who said no one listens to the person who tries to be logical?
         

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
8 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
63
28.40
1:16.82
07:16

          I began the run feeling less than enthusiastic. I said right out to Lena that for some reason, I was in a bit of a sour mood. I plugged along though.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
9 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
49
27.93
1:15.09
07:19

          Oh, the bittersweet agony of near success. Earlier this week I had run the quarter mile* in almost 75 seconds, 76.03 and 76.83, two times this week. Therefore, I thought it shouldn’t be too difficult for me to run just a bit faster and achieve my long-standing goal from four years ago. This morning, approaching the starting point of my all-out sprint, I was fully prepared, thinking about running on my toes and picking up my knees.
           I achieved my best time to date in the quarter-mile sprint. A cause for joy on some level. The problem is that I did not make my supreme goal of 75 seconds. I achieved 75.09 seconds. If another runner running beside me achieved 75 seconds, I would have lost to that person by 1.5 feet, 18 inches, barely the width of your shoulders. If I would have run .0012% faster, I would have made it.
          My lungs were starved of oxygen, my legs ached, and even my neck was sore. How could my neck be sore, you ask? Three years ago in Moscow, a friend filmed my sprint. The camera clearly shows me straining, my teeth visible, the tendons bulging out from the jaw to the top of my shoulders. I’m sure I was doing something similar today. 
          Immediately upon finishing, I stepped away from the inside lane to lane number 2, then to lane number 3. I knew that I would be walking slowly, so I didn’t want to get in anyone’s way. I didn’t want to force anyone to detour around me. During my run, I had had to run around someone running slowly in the inside lane. I had had to do it on the turn also. To quote Bill Cosby, in order to pass someone on the turn, “not only do you have to run twice as far, but you have to run twice as fast.” This could easily have been the difference between 75 seconds and 75.09 seconds.
          I began at the cusp of one of a turns so that I would be able to finish with a long straight away. As I neared the finish, my legs felt full of the heaviest concrete. It was as if I was trying to step over a mound of quick sand 4 feet tall with every stride. At other venues where I had been trying to break records, when I finished I was awash in similar feelings of ineptitude, but I still managed to achieve good results. Whether that was because I had already run quickly and I just needed to hang on, I’m not sure.
          Now, I am faced with the thought that all of my runs in the future will be compared to this all-out effort, and I will feel similar pain. Do I look like a plodding old man? Do I look like a svelte athlete? Elena says that I look like a real American. I’m not sure what that means, or how she thinks she knows what American runners look like; I am the only full-blooded American on campus. There is one other teacher who is half Colombian. I will ask Lena to film my effort and I will be able to see if I am a hulking turtle.

*I say this distance is “the quarter mile” because this is the distance that took the place of the quarter mile when the athletes in the US became a small bit more sensible as they converted all their distances to the supremely logical metric distances that are used throughout the rest of the world. People in the US still often call this distance the “quarter.”
If the track in Emmetsburg is a quarter mile track, which seems very unlikely since the high schools have not used that antiquated system for years, I would have been running 402.3 meters instead of 400 meters. The oldest Emmetsburg high school track record I found was from 2008, and even at that time, the records are listed in meters.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
11* June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
52
27.41
1:17.13
07:16

          First my fingers were tingling—not a terribly unpleasant feeling, but unusual. Then, the inside of my elbows began to ache, followed by aching in my neck. All of this accompanied by acute inability to breath, gasping for oxygen with great gulps of air that perpetually left me unsatisfied in my effort to reach equilibrium. This great strain began after the conclusion of the sprint.
          I tried to give myself a gentle push toward my goal of 75 seconds today by preceding my head-long dash with half a lap of walking. A failure. My time was more than two seconds on the wrong side of 1¼ minutes. As I ran around the third turn, I started to feel weak, like my muscles did not have the required energy to function. I remembered at that moment that I awoke with great pangs of hunger. I hate to seem like someone in search of excuses, but last night, I didn’t have enough time at the dinner table because my team was on the first bus going to the evening event.
 
          After breakfast, on the walk back to our lodgings, I found myself at the bottom of the 123 steps, alongside Valya, the 20-something male counselor. On a whim, I challenged him to a race to the top. I added quickly, “I’m an old man,” so he wouldn’t be afraid to race. If he was at all worried, it was displaced folly. He totally kicked my ass like I was pulling a wagon load of sand up the stairs.
          It was shocking. I was confronted with my total lack of quickness. When I run up the steps by myself, I think I am moving at a rapid clip. Three seconds into this race, however, Valya was already 4 or 5 steps ahead of me. When I run, I take two steps at a time. Every now and then, he jumped up three steps. In itself, of course, three steps is no big deal, but trying to imagine myself taking three steps was something like jumping from the ground to the top of the gold medal stand.
          During the race, I was like a little kid trying to wear his father’s shoes. At one point, I stumbled as I didn’t hit the step cleanly. Valya stopped, turned around and said, “Be careful.” As we reached the top, with two steps to go, he reached back and gave me his hand in a gesture designed to make the defeat somewhat less humiliating. What a nice guy!
          He soothed my injured pride as he said, “Most men of your age would not be able to do this.” Again...What a nice guy!

*I took a day off yesterday because I have blisters on both feet. I used yesterday to rest, plan future lessons, and give my feet a break.


Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
12 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
65
27.87
1:16.49
07:19

          Possibly a new pain, possibly it was simply unrecognized earlier, but my hamstrings were sore after the fingers were tingling and at nearly the same time as the inside of the elbows. My neck presented no pain today—possibly because I did not strain sufficiently.  I forgot to start my stop watch today, probably because before the start, I had to do small bit of negotiation with a team of kids who were training,
          Luckily, this morning, Elena was filming me with my iPhone, so I have the time. 



Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters quarter mile(s)
Start time
13 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
55
29.19
1:16.22
07:20

          I tried to new method of running the 400 meters today. Rather than run at the limit of my exertion from the very beginning, I decided I would try to pace myself. I had been under the impression that the quarter mile was a short distance, and that I should be able to give an all-out effort during the entire sprint. No. On June 11 in particular, I was barely able to remain standing while making the final steps after running at full-speed all the way around the track. 
          Today, I began at partial speed. I won’t say that I ran slowly (at least not for me), but I was not giving it everything I had. As I came around the last turn, leading into a long straight stretch, I tried to exert myself. As one can see from the graphic above, I finished in almost 1.25 seconds slower than my goal of 75 seconds.
          The logical person would think that running a second faster when running 75 seconds would be a simple question of giving a little more effort.  That logical person must not have tried running such as I am now. I, too, think that adding a bit of effort should be simple. I can remember some 25 years ago when my cousin Susie was running with me. She knew that I was considering running a marathon. At the end of my run with her, she screamed, “Come on, James! Finish strong!” or something similar. I think that is what I need—some kind of encouragement that will push me over the edge. It is an observed fact that people run quicker when they are running against another person. I’m sure I am no different. Roger Banister, the first man to run the mile in under 4 minutes, used several different pace runners so he would be sure to be remain at top speed. He didn’t want to lag and take himself out of striking distance from the 4-minute mark.
          My sprint up the 123 steps was so slow because I had to dodge a bunch of kids coming down the steps.  Many of them greeted me; while not ignoring them totally, I said no more than one word.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters quarter mile(s)
Start time
14 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
61
27.93
1:15.13
07:19

          Ugh! .13 seconds. As I crossed the halfway mark, I glanced at my watch to see that I was at 38 seconds—on pace for 1:16. I reasoned that was exactly where I needed to be. I didn’t slow down at this point; I maintained my pace, and soon expended greater effort.
          The infinitesimally tiny amount of extra effort that should make my goal a reality is difficult to imagine. The thing is that I have already given what seems to me to be the utmost effort. Just yesterday, I wrote here that I needed to have some competition, a running partner. Lo and behold, a camper asked to run with us. Before we ran, I asked her not to run too far ahead of me. I said that she should run just a bit ahead so I wouldn’t lose heart.
          My desire to stay with her gave me some motivation for a short distance; she fell back after the first turn. On the next turn, I needed to move out a bit to pass a different young girl. This small effort may have been the .13 seconds that I needed.
          Now I know that an all-out effort from the very beginning will not serve me well; by the time I finish, I am absolutely exhausted and barely able to remain erect. Today, I ran quite leisurely at the start of the sprint, running with great effort at the end. My results were very nearly sufficient.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters quarter mile(s)
Start time
15 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
55
26.07
1:15.57
07:19

           Ridiculous. How can someone come within two seconds of the goal seven times in nine days, but NOT cross the barrier? What excuses can I find today? It began raining at the start of my run. There were several people on the track. I didn’t think about picking up my knees, and I thought about running on my toes only at the beginning. As I finished, I was running directly into a strong wind. All are valid excuses that could have made the difference between 1:15.57 and 1:15.00.
          The thing is that none of these excuses are as strong as the mind. My psychological outlook may be the difference between 1:15 and 1:16. The raindrops falling on my head may have influenced my speed negatively, not only with the bits of water on my body, or miniscule bits of slippage between my shoes and the track, but also because my mind is telling me that it is more difficult, or uncomfortable to run in the rain.
          Unless I misread my watch, as I passed the half-way point, I was at 36 seconds—on pace for 1:12 rather than 1:15. I did not let down at that point, but sped up. I tried to push it at the end, and I finished with quite a lot of energy.
          Running up the steps, I broke the 27-second barrier, and nearly the 26-second barrier.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters quarter mile(s)
Start time
16 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
52
30.57
1:15.70
07:19

           Someone said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and getting the same result over and over, all the time expecting to get a different result (or something like that…maybe it was Einstein). 
          AGAIN, less than a second too slow. I got up today feeling quite hungry. I had eaten all fruit I bought last week, so I had nothing to quiet my stomach—and to give me a bit of energy. I was feeling good, though, and decided to run to the front gate, and across the road to the fruit shop. I ate one pear during the walk to the track and I was all set.
          At the half-way point, I looked down to see 36 seconds. For some reason, I put on a burst of speed. I could actually have slowed down. By the time I finished, my body was feeling unstable and I even felt like I was going to fall. My steps were unsteady.  Why couldn’t I have simply put a final push at the end? I consciously considered running a hair faster…I thought about imagining a person beside me.
          This is all a mental game now. I must admit that it’s interesting to play such games with myself.

Date
Place of exercise
Duration (minutes)
123 steps(s)
400 meters(s)
Start time
17 June
Orlyonok-Орлёнок
2

1:13.19
18:35

          I did it. I smashed my record by nearly 2 seconds. You might think that’s nothing big, but the other teachers around my table in the cafeteria all know it’s monumental.
          I have a video of this, too. On one level, one could say that my penchant for making video is like the onlooker who can’t keep himself from staring at the train wreck. In truth, my form doesn’t actually look terrible:  my strides are long, I’m thrusting my arms out far is either direction, my head is up; a true professional running coach could probably find several imperfections in my style, but me—I’m happy. 
          The happiness is called into question a bit when one considers the other runner, Valya. Rather than running at the upper limit of his ability, like I was, he looks as though he is walking from his bedroom to the bathroom in the middle of the night in his bare feet with his eyes closed. I’m wearing running gear, shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes—he’s wearing blue jeans, a polo shirt, and white sneakers that are two sizes too big, with no socks. This lack of proper equipment, however, does not mean that his ability to run quicker than me is at all damaged. I asked him before we ran not to get too far ahead—I didn’t want to lose heart. He constantly had to keep looking back so he would not trample on my spirit. He played his role perfectly. 
          Valya is he male camp counselor for our “team” of 27 teenagers. I am the designated English speaker attached to the group. The kids can be heard in the video screaming encouragement—to Valya. Several of them may have had the impression that Valya and I were racing. The truth is that I should have paid him to be my pace animal. I used him like the dog track uses a plastic rabbit. As I wrote here a couple days ago, I figured that what I needed was some competition to inspire me to get that extra second. He and I discussed that he was the perfect person to provide this competition—we just needed to find a time in our schedules to suit.

          Today didn’t begin like a day when one would expect to shatter a personal record. The first activity for me was a load of laundry at 6:15 a.m. Then we took a page out of the army handbook—hurry up and wait. We felt the pressure to get ready so we did our best to get up at 6:30, as our group leader, Valya, had stipulated. Like a true aristocrat, he didn’t stumble into the room until 7:45. Then breakfast, and a 6-hour hike into the hills. The hike was not strenuous, but it was surely hot and sweaty. We returned to the camp about an hour before the camp session-ending gala in the Palace of Culture and Sport (DKS), enough time for me to have a swim in the Black Sea.
          After seeing kids and counselors perform spectacularly, I introduced Valya to the idea of acting as my pace rabbit before walking back for supper. I needed to take advantage of the fact that while our lodge is a 25-minute walk from the track, it is in the shadow of the DKS. What’s more, now that the kids were with us, I imagined an adoring crowd cheering me on to victory and a new, sub-75 second record. In reality, the adoring crowd was cheering for my opponent, the rabbit, but the record was realized and the four-year old goal was achieved. 
          When I finished, I felt a new tingling in my ears, strangely. But the other soreness, in my elbows, in my hamstrings, in my neck, and even in my fingertips, did not appear. The mind has nearly unlimited power to make the body forget all troubles. During the 25-minute walk back to supper, we fell in with several other Orlyonok sub-camps. My spirit was famously buoyed to the point where my usual conversations of…
          “Where you from?”
          “The United States.”
          “Oh, ho!”
          …were many.
          I wasn’t so presumptuous to think that they would be interested in my new record. But Dasha, from our team, played the role of the dutiful ‘good listener’ as I regaled her with every aspect of the event.







No comments:

Post a Comment