Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Czech-eating monster...attack cat

Date
Celsius °
(C*9/5)+32=F
Place of run
Duration (min)
start time
One inside loop
9 flights (sec)
Sets of 11 pull-ups
Sets of 25 push-ups
14 May
≈ 10
Nizhenskaya,Moscow,
≈ 35
07:24
1:16.87
34.61
3
2

            Today was a fantastic run.  Almost painless.  The time for the inside loop gives me that idea that my record of 1:14.87 on 16 March, may not be a mistake.  I was still weary enough when I got ‘round to the steps that I didn’t achieve the 32 seconds and change of late.
            Monday, my retirees told me that I looked like I had lost weight.  I didn’t think so.  They told me to go to the scale.  80 kilos (176 pounds).  Rather than lose weight, it seems that I have gained weight.  Sixteen years ago, I weighed 75 kilos (165 pounds).  I stayed at that weight for 15 years.  I think the weight GAIN has appeared only recently.  They rain, they nagging injuries, laziness—have all combined to see me spend less time on the road.  We’ll see.  My coming schedule is such that tomorrow, I need to run even though I ran today. I can do this because tomorrow mornings clients cancelled our meeting. Bad, but distressingly common.

Recently, I've gone to an English conversation group a couple times where the major activity involves board games. We sit around a table and play Taboo or modified Apples to Apples. In all honesty, we mostly chit chat about topics that in some obscure way relate to the topic on the card. For instance, one card read CUTE.  Someone suggested Al Pacino is a good match for CUTE.  My mind must have wandered for a minute because the next thing I heard was the crowd talking about the Sopranos. "Why are you talking about the Sopranos?"
"Because they are Italians."
I didn't see the connection. "Did Al Pacino appear in the Sopranos?" I asked. 
"No, but he’s Italian.”
“Isn’t he American?”
“Well, with a name like that, he must be Italian by ancestry.”

On another card, was written, "Bright and Shiny".  One person chose Los Angeles because the people there are bright and shiny and smiling. I asked if anyone had heard of the REM song, Shiny, Happy, People.

The careful reader of this blog (his name is Vinny Testeverde) will remember that in the room is a computer attached to a projector. Someone sat down and under my correction, typed in the word Shunny, then shinny, then shiny. She easily entered 'happy' and the title magically appeared. It was the first time I'd seen the amateurish, uncomplicated video and we all enjoyed it. About halfway through, Ms. LA-is-full-of-bright-shiny-people said the video, with its juvenile decoration, and simple theme reminded her of a video she had seen of a Czech group singing about a swamp monster that eats citizens of Prague. So we called that one up, too. Remarkably similar and mirthful. Below are links to both videos. 


The Czech monster video is unforgettable because of the delightful conservation of movement displayed by the members of the ensemble. Without the ability comprehend to Czech it may become wearisome, and in today's hurry, hurry, no-one-has-time-for-anything environment, the viewer may be tempted to turn it off before the end. BUT the best part begins at the 1:59 point. The dry, just-another-day-at-the-office attitude of the actor is priceless. Don't miss it. 

I can’t pass up sending this video of a wonderful, ferocious cat.



No comments:

Post a Comment