Wednesday, May 7, 2014

How the Russian government sees the US role

Date
Celsius °
(C*9/5)+32=F
Place of run
Duration (min)
start time
One inside loop
9 flights (sec)
Sets of 11 pull-ups
6 May
≈ 5
Nizhenskaya,Moscow,
≈ 33
13:13
1:21.65
32.83
3

            What a great run today!  A fresh Wait, Wait in my ears…and a good one, too.  My knees are almost completely healthy.  I returned from Albania this morning, took a nap, and then went running.  It’s raining off and on.
            All winter, I have been sleeping with only a sheet covering me.  Most evenings, I have even had a window open.  This morning, though, my apartment was freezing.  When we say ‘central heating’ in the US, it means that there is one heating system for the whole house—the furnace is usually in the basement and it sends warm air where it is needed throughout the structure.  In Russian cities, ‘central heating’ means that there is one heating system for the whole TOWN.  This year, in the fall, my former land lady was getting upset because the weather was getting cooler and she was anxious for the heaters to begin warming up the place.  A couple days after she began to get worried, the heating began and stayed on for the rest of my stay.  That might have been October 1. 
This spring, it seems that the calendar has dictated the time when the heat would be shut off as well.  I left a warm apartment on April 30, and came back to a freezer box on 6 May.  So from October 1 to May 1, the houses have been cozy.  Now, Moscow is frigid. The temperature is above freezing, but relatively, it’s darn cold.  Especially for me because not only don’t I USE a blanket, I don’t even HAVE a blanket.  I’m wearing a t-shirt, thick sweatshirt, track pants, and a pair of socks.  My trusty sheet does its best, but sometimes…
I’ve been colder during the last week than I have been all winter—even during -26 C degree weather in Iowa.  In Tirana last week, I was also freezing. Some readers might have read my blog piece about the coldest place on Earth, Albania.  Why?  Because they refuse to admit that it gets cold there.  They build their houses without insulation or heating systems.  Therefore, people have to wear all kinds of clothes, and use space heaters.  The result is that people use a heater to warm up the room where they are reading or playing games or whatever.  They have a space heater in the kitchen, too.  If they have to the kitchen to refill their water glass, they quickly open and close the door, freeze their little toes off running to the next room, shut the door and then warm up again.

The article below describes how the Russian government sees the protests in Ukraine. There are outside actors, the US and Europe, who are destabilizing the situation.  May 9 is a huge holiday here; they are celebrating the 50 years since the defeat of Nazi Germany.  It is a time of increased patriotism. Many people are wearing ribbons that are orange and black striped to show their support of Russian in the Ukrainian conflict.



Personally, I’m not feeling much.  As I was getting out of a bus, leaving the bus empty, the driver asked where I’m from.  After telling him that I’m from the US, he asked me something about why the US wants war.  I didn’t understand him completely, partially because he was not a native speaker of Russian (and neither am I J).  I kept a smile on my face as I told him that I’m not the US government.
            Last night, I went to an English-speaking group that plays board games.  Native speakers in such places are treated pretty much as rock stars.  Among other questions, they asked me why I began to study Russian so many years ago.  As always, I answered that the Soviet Union was always the biggest enemy of the US and I wanted to find out if the propaganda we heard was true, so I began to study their language.  Then they asked about my time in Russia and I said something about the Peace Walk in 1988.  The organizer of the group sat down at the computer which was hooked up to a projector and looked for pictures of the Walk. I thought of the essay and pictures that I have uploaded to Youtube.  It was a great time of reminiscence for me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment