Wednesday, September 5, 2012

climbing, sore, skinned knees



Final sprint was interesting today because I don’t know why I am stuck at such slow results.  I give it all I’ve got throughout the run, but don’t even break the 50 second mark.    I’m suspicious that my body may be a bit weary.

I was certainly weary while doing the pull-ups.  My strength sapped out at 20.  Of course, it could be a psychological thing, I’m not sure.  After I’ve done 20, my arms simply give up.  They’ve taken the message from the brain that it is a decent result and that I should be satisfied.
There is a new climbing gym in Tirana that is owned and operated by a couple of frisbee players.  Last week, I went there in the afternoon with a teacher at the school, Ben. He is a friendly guy who is not afraid to give compliments.  As I was trying to complete one of the defined routes on the wall, Ben started bragging for me.  He said that I run and do pull-ups.  About that time, I dropped off the wall and chimed in with, “I did 21 pull-ups last week.”  The gym-owner, Chuck, feigned excitement and said, “Whoa, I can’t do that many.”  As we looked around the gym, we noticed some exercise positions where people can practice pull-ups with 4, 3 and 2 fingers.  Chuck demonstrated a 2-finger pull-up.  I could not come close.
Tonight, there is an Ultimate Frisbee game again.  I hope that I will not be sore like I was last week.  The chances are good that I will be, though.  I also hope that I do not open new scrapes on my knees.  In the past, while playing regularly, I would have perpetually skinned knees.  So much so that literally EVERY time I played, I ended up with blood of some kind running down my shins.  At one point in Albania, another player said, “James, you look like you have just murdered someone in cold blood.”
I think hold off on the pull-ups tomorrow and try again for 21 on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment