Friday, September 21, 2012

pull-ups in the forest




I was touched by a dog today.  Not since 1992, also in Moscow, have I been touched by a dog while running.  Normally, I pay no attention to the dogs, keep running, and they lose interest.  Last time, it was a full-sized German Sheppard with a crocodile-sized mouth
who bite me in the butt after he was attracted to my frisbee.  This time, it was a 6-inch tall, pint-sized wiener dog who touched my shoe a couple times.
The most telling piece of the saga this morning was the fact that I didn’t listen to my iPod.  After leaving the apartment, in 60 seconds, I was fully immersed in the woods.  I would run for a minute or two, then turn around and retrace my steps.  I didn’t want to get lost and end up running for two hours searching for something familiar.   There were plenty of sites to remember: step over the birch tree in the path, run by the pile of logs, take a left at the overflowing trash can, bear right at the green tin shack that houses a couple dumpsters.  I found many places for exercise.  There were clearings with benches around the perimeter.  The numerous dogs were very well behaved; the owners did well keeping them in line.  As I’ve written in the graphic above, I was able to do some pull-ups again.
Not for 11 and a half minutes did I even think about the iPod in my pocket.  I know it was 11:33 because I was so surprised at the fact that I hadn’t thought about it that looked at my watch.  My surroundings were so full of physical details and nature that my mind did not need the injection of artificial stimulus.
I think I’m going to like it here.


 I thought about saying these exercise spots seemed to be 20 years old, but I realize now that is not near old enough.  I'd say they are more like 50 years old.
 The green, tin shack on the left of this track has dumpsters in it.  Click on the picture for a closer look.
 I can't imagine anyone in the States using a tree as a post for a cross bar.  This look entirely functional and the tree is doing fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment