Saturday, September 22, 2012

Map with glasses




I ran from my apartment nearly to where I will be teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I wanted to do this to determine if it was a reasonable distance to think I could run there on my teaching days.  I’m not sure…I was in the vicinity in 30 minutes, and I saw the street I needed.
The thing is though that it’s going to be getting cold here.  I don’t mind cold, but the ice and snow is a bummer.  And getting to class with my fingers frozen and my back full of sweat will not be cool.  Since my classes don’t start until 4:45, though, maybe I will be able to recover.  But then I would need to carry my books and such.  More thought is necessary.
Eleven pull-ups right outside the door and eleven when I returned.  The rest of the day was running.  Before leaving, I used the two maps I bought last night to plan my route.  I’ve pasted a picture of the map below.  Why did I buy two maps?  Well, one of them has EVERY building in the region in 140 pages of small paperback.  The other one has a map of Moscow that with a scale of 1:36 500, a bit better than my current map, 1:45 000.  Did I really NEED two maps?  Probably not, but I love maps.  A problem is that my eyes are getting very bad.  I have to decipher the maps instead of read them.  You might say, “Why the heck doesn’t he get glasses?”  I have glasses and they work fine for everything but this.  The type is fantastically small. A massive town like this, there is a lot that has to go onto a map.
Another amazing thing I realized as I’ve been running around:  in such a city, you can travel way out on the subway and still come out into a shopping center 10 times the size of Newell, Iowa.  Some might say that’s no big deal, of course there are big buildings far from the center, or only someone who just fell off the potato truck would think it’s interesting.   Well, call me Darrell.

The map. Click on it to see it clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment