Saturday, March 16, 2013

the plural of roof









Words 476

          We’ve had a heap of snow lately.  When I show the boys the view outside my window, they see all the snow on all the rooves…

(I’ve just spent 15 minutes searching the internet after ‘rooves’ was automatically changed to ‘roves’.  I thought, “What?!?  How do you spell the plural of roof?  
I typed in roofs, and it was accepted.  What in the world?  I found an internet exchange about the plural of roof.  One person talks about the quaint New Zealanders as if they are backwater residents who used ‘rooves’ until the 80’s.  ‘rooves’ is still accepted as an alternate spelling in the Oxford dictionary—thank goodness.  Call me a stubborn hick, but I am going to add ‘rooves’ to my custom dictionary)  

…and in the streets.   They envy that I live in a place with so much snow.  The thing is that with the temperature of 4 Celsius, the snow is melting an there is water all over the streets.  The walk to the pool was treacherous and totally uncomfortable.  This is the reason that I have not been running for a few days.  I do not want to take a chance at injury.  

          Anyway…today, I had as much time as I wanted to swim.  Started off with a record-breaking 50 meter dash.  Then I swam 10 laps of the 50-m pool to make an entire kilometer.  I set a goal of 3 minutes for each lap.  I came up with this goal when I considered that a 50m sprint takes me 50 seconds.  I rounded that up to one minute, doubled that to include second half of the lap.  There we have 2 minutes.  I added a minute to make sure I could achieve the goal.  So, 1000 meters should take 30 minutes.  So now I have a definite goal that shouldn’t be impossible.
          For the last half lap (50m), I planned to look at my stopwatch and wait until I got to the next full or half minute.  I thought I might have as much as 29 seconds.  In actuality, when I looked it was 25:56.  I had four seconds!  I swam like crazy, really pumping the arms and kicking my legs like a power boat.  My goal was to make it in less than a minute.  Success!!  57.95!

          My family sent me a box for Christmas.  It has not arrived.  People tell me I should not be worried.  I tend to agree.  I sent a postcard from Albania on Dec 31.  It arrived today.

50 m  freestyle             20.91   Cesar Cielo  Brazil  2009
1500 m freestyle     14:31.02   Sun Yang     China  2012

 20.91 
18 Dec 2009
Brazilian Championships
 São Paulo, Brazil
 14:31.02 
4 Aug 2012
 London, United Kingdom

Above are what Wikipedia says are the current world records.  I know I’m not going to break any records.  That’s why I compete against myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment