Thursday, January 10, 2013

high school football practice


206 words
I love it when I do something that I can compare to high school football practice.  The other day, I needed to ride the metro one stop to the circle line in order to transfer to another line. It was rush hour and the place was stuffed with people.  The train car was not packed as tightly as sardines because sardines are swimming in oil.  Because I was going only one stop, I let everyone else bustle onto the car before me.  By the time I heard, “Be careful, the doors are closing. The next stop is Kyrskaya,” the car extremely full.  I lowered my shoulder, planted my feet on the platform and shoved into the pack.  Everyone wore at least 4 inches of padding so they didn’t mind—it seems that it was just expected.  The thing it reminded me of is pulling “dead hogs” (railroad ties) around the football practice field in high school.
Not a long time later, the doors were trying to close on an older lady’s leg so I stuck my arm in between them.  After she was through, I pulled my arm out with the speed of a hummingbird and they slammed together with enough force to smash a cracker.


No comments:

Post a Comment